Ryder Cup 2018 – Teams, Odds, Venue, Tee Times, TV Schedule & Streams
September 17, 2018
It’s almost time for one of the most exciting sporting events of the year – it’s almost Ryder Cup time, baby!
There is a very, very common misconception among non-golf fans that golf is super boring, but let me tell you right now;:that can not be further from the truth.
Sure, the first couple of days of a standard tournament may be a little bit stale, but the first couple of days of the Ryder Cup are anything but. In the Ryder Cup, every single shot matters and the tension levels for fans and players alike are practically unmatched across the whole sporting landscape. Just look at some of the celebrations in the video below…
Anyway, let’s get to it. Let’s have a look at the two teams, some of the odds, where it’s being played, and where you can watch it on TV and online.
Though Europe have the world’s number one player in Justin Rose, when you compare the two sides, it’s hard to look past that USA lineup and it’s little wonder that they’re 5/12 to lift the trophy with Jetbull – 9 of their 12 man roster are major winners. Europe, by comparison, have just 4.
Europe never recovered from losing the first four matches in the first session two years ago in Minnesota and eventually got blown out the water in a miserable 17-11 loss to Davis Love III and his American cronies, and on paper, things don’t look too great for Europe this year either. But this is the Ryder Cup where anything can happen!
Here are some of the most tantalising bets on offer and what we see value in:
- Notoriously slow starters, Europe have been behind at the start of day two at the last 5 Ryder Cups yet they’ve still won 3 of them. Europe’s adrenaline usually starts to build once they’re behind, so the 6/1 odds of Europe losing on Day 1 and winning the Ryder Cup with Ladbrokes looks like a good bet. Once that momentum starts to swing, and that raucous home crowd get behind them, Europe usually become unstoppable.
- Europe’s wildcards are stacked with experience this year, but it’s hard to look past Ian Poulter at 12/5 to be Europe’s top wildcard with Betfred. Poulter absolutely thrives under pressure. Going into the Houston Open earlier this season Poulter had to win the tournament (something he’d only ever done twice on the PGA tour (and not since 2012)) to qualify for The Masters, and what did he do? Went and won it. Poulter loves pressure, and Poulter loves the Ryder Cup – he has the second highest Ryder Cup win percentage of any man at the 2018 Ryder Cup, and the highest of any European.
It’s Europe’s time to host after the US had the pleasure two years ago, and for just the second time this year’s Ryder Cup will be held in Continental Europe, and for the first time, in France! At Le Golf National to be precise, which is 20 minutes outside of Paris.
And though there are no Frenchies in Europe’s Ryder Cup team this year, the crowd is still expected to be as vociferous as always!
TV & Radio Schedule
Though the action starts for real on Friday, there’s plenty more entertainment to sink your teeth before that.
Here’s what’s on offer to UK viewers:
- Tuesday 25th September: Live Ryder Cup Celebrity Match – Sky Sports Golf from 2pm
- Wednesday 26th September: Live Ryder Cup On The Range – Sky Sports Golf 2pm
- Thursday 27th September: Live Ryder Cup Captain’s Match & Opening Ceremony – Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Golf from 2pm
- Friday 28th September: Live Ryder Cup Opening Day – Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Golf from 6.30am
- Saturday 29th September: Live Ryder Cup Second Day – Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Golf from 6.30am
- Sunday 30th September: Live Ryder Cup Final Day – Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Golf from 9.30am
There will also be highlights on BBC Two at 8.30pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and live radio coverage throughout each day on BBC Radio 5 Live.
For those of you without Sky Sports, you have a few paid and unpaid options too:
| || |
Up to £100
| || |
Get £30 In Free Bets
| || |
Bet £5 Get £20
In Free Bets
| || |
Get a £20 Free Bet
When You Bet £5
| || |
Get £20 Free Bets
When You Bet £20
Author: Tom Mortimer
Tom is the editor at Betting Circle and has been creating online content for over 10 years. Tom mainly writes about sport and gambling, but every now and then also delves into fleshier subjects like politics and psychology. When he was 18 he created HungarianFootball.com and over the last few years he's written on a freelance basis for ESPN, WorldSoccer, Goal.com, among many others.